Monday, November 10, 2008

We are stronger than me

I am not a strong person, probably in any sense of the word.

I rely heavily on the people in my life to help me through most of life's situations.

Yesterday was no different.

Everything was going so well. I had done my research, i had test-driven the car, i had brought my dad out with me to ask questions, look it over and give me his opinion. And then yesterday when i picked it up, hoping just to drive it straight home, my worst nightmare was realized.

The car has problems. I called the dealer right away and told him that the check engine light was on and that the car was misfiring. He told me to bring it right back and he would look at it.

"It's just bad gas making the car misfire" he said. "I'll just put some gas line anti-freeze in to dry up the water that's causing it to misfire". He did, it ran fine and the check engine light went off.

~phew~ i thought as i drove away for the second time.

The trip back to my parent's house from the dealer was 2 hours. By the time i got home, the car was misfiring again and the check engine light was on.

I felt like i had been kicked in the stomach.
I felt like i had been had.
For most of the ride home the hairs on my body were standing on end and the back of my neck felt white hot.

"What have i done??", i thought to myself.

Needless to say i was very upset. I felt powerless.

Over and over i asked myself "what have i just done??"

I was so upset, i knew i couldn't call the dealer again. I would not be able to stay composed. And although my Dad said he wanted me to fight my own battles, he could see how upset i was, and called the dealer for me.

There was no answer, so my dad left a message and called the dealer two more times and left messages.

My dad called his friend who is a mechanic and explained the problem. He advised us not to drive the car because you could cause further damage.

My sister was there and i asked her for a hug. A hug that i needed badly. She told me it would be ok in the end and wanted me to explain why i was so upset.

I couldn't really explain it, except for the fact that i am a very emotional person and lots of things make my upset, but i tried to explain that i felt like i had been had by this guy and that i just spent a lot of money on a lemon and i didn't know what my rights are at this point.

Can i put a hold on the cheque until this problem is resolved?
Can i take it to a dealership and have it repaired and make him cover the costs?
Can i cancel the deal based on the fact that the car is not in the same condition as when i agreed to buy it?

I'm not sure where i'm going with this, but last night i realized that by myself, as a single person, i am weak.

When i am surrounded by my supporters, my family and my friends, i have strength and i have confidence.

If it weren't for Mat's calm and reassuing attitude that when it's fixed, everything will be ok, i would be a wreck.

If it weren't for my dad's take charge attitude to talk to the dealer and get this resolved, and for his determination to gather as much information by calling people he knows, i would be lost.

If it weren't for my sister's loving and positive attitude, i would still be upset.

There are a lot of things i can do on my own, but for things that i can't, i am happy to have "Team Roz" on my side.

3 comments:

Christy and Dustin said...

Roz,
We feel so sick inside for you. We have been in the very same place before and lost big time and all you can feel in that moment is the urge to find a bigger bucket. But just like you've written, trial and disappointment are inevitable but the support and love of others pilots us to a new perspective and nourishes us to grow and live stronger.
And we want you to know that we are doing our absolute best to share some joy with you and Mat and have your pictures to you as soon as possible. We can't to show them to you. You have our support as little and far away as it may seem.

Dustin and Christy

Lara said...

AUGH! What crap!! I hope it all gets resolved easily and quickly and once it's done it will be done. And we are always stronger with our support system than alone, and it's nice to be reminded how lucky we are to have the people we have in our lives once in awhile - what a difference they make! *hugs*

Betsy Mae said...

I bet you aren't so weak. I'm guessing that you would take matters into your own hands if you had to. You are fortunate enough that you can ask others for support. Don't call yourself weak just because you happen to be very blessed!
I hope that the whole car situation is resolved...and soon.