Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Where I'm From

Thanks DaniGirl


I am from a brightly coloured one-piece snowsuit, from Sunlight dishsoap and Green Giant vegetables.

I am from the tall brown brick house with the wavy driveway that burned my feet in the summer.

I am from the apple tree in my backyard, the fresh grass clippings on the lawn.

I am from cutting down our own Christmas tree with my sister every year and a love of perogies. From Anastazia and Arthur and Joan.

I am from being stubborn, laughing loud and hard, and singing wherever I go. From shopping for clothes at Eaton’s and visiting Batchawana Bay each year and roasting marshmallows at the bonfire.

From “help your sister” and “you can do anything you want in life”.

I am from kneeling for God for 3 minutes a week. Even if it’s easier to rest my butt on the pew.

I'm from the trillium province, Marchuts and Wisharts, Christmas pudding en flambé and pumpkin pie on the floor.

From the time my dad’s best friend died suddenly and the first and last time I have seen my dad cry, the scary playroom and basement, and the success of all my siblings.

I am from the white fireplace mantel, music box for every birthday, the guest house and the den in the cottage and how the look, sound, touch and smell of each of them are ingrained in my mind forever.


(Find out where you're from
here)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really beautiful. Thanks for the link to that...I just might use that in these last few lingering days of NaBloPoMo.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I really like where you're from! Thanks for playing along!!

Anonymous said...

This was incredible. Your best post. I loved every word of it.

Unnaturally Blonde said...

What a fantastic way to express who you are! Loved it!

Emily Main said...

This was wonderful!

Kellan said...

Hi Roz - I loved this! I too - like where you are from. Take care. Kellan