Thursday, June 28, 2007

“Imagine losing everything…..”

That is the header for a website at www.nixonfirerelief.com

You see, my cousins are the Nixons and they have just lost everything in a fire that destroyed their entire home and everything they own.

I have been thinking about what it must be like to lose everything.

It would be horribly sad, especially if you’re a child. As an adult, I consider most of my things to be “replaceable”. Even though I love a lot of things in my home, and it would be terrible if they were destroyed in a fire, my life wouldn’t be over if they were gone. Things like the t.v., the laptop, my clothes, my books, the furniture…these are the things that make up most of my possessions. If these things were lost in a fire, it would suck, but I would get over it.


There are however, several things that would make me quite sad if they were lost. Things like jewelry that has significance - like jewelry from my family, alive and passed on. Other things like photographs and albums would also be sorely missed. But then again, I post a lot of my pictures on-line so hopefully they’re relatively safe ;)

But I remember as a child, thinking about what it would be like to lose my things, and back then, it worried me so much that I was near tears. I loved my stuffed animals. All of them. They all seemed real to me with real feelings. And the thought of them being lost, or stolen, or in a fire made me really sad. I think too, when you’re a kid, your “things” just mean more to you for some reason.

So, my heart goes out to my cousins for the loss of their home and all of their worldly possessions, but mostly, my heart goes out to the 2 kids, because I’m sure they’re feeling the most upset, confused and heartbroken than the adults. I’m sure the adults are upset and worried in their own right wondering how they will rebuild their lives and provide for their children, but it’s the heart-hurt that the kids must feel which is the most painful.

How would your life be if you lost your home and everything in it to a fire? Would you be OK? What would you miss the most?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow...what a hard thing to think about. Like you, I agree that most things are replaceable. But there are other things that would completely devistate me if I lost them. My pictures mean SO much to me. I don't have much of a memory (have no idea why), so when I look back at pictures from the past it helps me to remember things. Without them, I'd be lost. I feel so sorry for your cousins!!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind the loss of my clothes or other possessions. But I'd hate if someone got hurt in the fire. And of course I'd hate to lose my diaries and my precious books..but such things? I could live with.

Sassy said...

That was my biggest fear as a child. I grew up being terrified of our house burning down. Thank God it never happened and I can only begin to imagine how truly horrible that would be. I would be devasted now, if I were to lose all of my photographs, especially of my children. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. My heart goes out to them!

Betsy Mae said...

How terrible.

I suppose when it comes down to it, my husband and kids are all that matters...but damn it would be painful to lose our dog, the pictures, the special mementos that really are so special and make life that much sweeter.

By the way, thanks very much for stopping by my blog and your comments...they make me smile!

Road To Be Entrepreneur said...

I know how you feel about stuffed animals. I ever collected them too, they are best friends to me.

I talked to them too ;p.

Anyway,
I'm so sorry for your cousins and their home.

-pretty in the city-